. . . pythagoras’ mitts . . .

Matching fingerless mitts to go with Pythagoras’ beret. mitts mod 6
Pythagoras’ mitts are worked bottom up starting with a Latvian two-color cast on. Written instructions are included and a photo tutorial can be found in the separate pdf. It’s a lovely way to start colorwork, but you can use another cast on method if you prefer.

mitts

A special kind of increases is used to shape the thumb gusset.

mitts mod 4

Sizes
Finished measurement hand circumference: S-M, L: 17 cm / 6¾”, 20 cm / 7¾” to fit hand circumference: 18 to 19 cm / 7 to 7½ “, 20 to 22 cm / 7¾ to 8¾ “

What you’ll need
sport weight
± 240 to 270 m / 260 to 300 yards
(half of each color)
3 mm (US 2½) circular needle
crochet hook in the same size as the needle
for the Latvian two-color cast on
2 markers
tapestry needle

Gauge
28 sts and 39 rows in stranded pattern
(see page 2) = 10 x 10 cm / 4” x 4”

Check it out here

They will be free until December 25, midnight (Brussels time), no coupon code needed

mitts+painting

Advertisements

. . . greenhouse knits #5 . . .

#5 of the greenhouse knits collection: another hat but with a completely different construction.

greenhouse hat B+text

The hat is first worked back and forth and sideways to form a headband with the leaf stitch pattern. Short rows are worked to form an arch that goes upwards to the crown. Stitches are picked up along the headband to work the crown in the round. Lastly, the two sides of the headband are closed by sewing them together at the inside.

one adaptable size
adaptable for head circumference of 53 to 60 cm / 21” to 23¾ “
Finished height = ± 20 cm (8”)

What you’ll need
worsted / 9 ply
± 140 m / 155 yards
4 mm (US 6) circular needle

tapestry needle
6 markers

Gauge
20 sts and 30 rows in stockinette stitch = 10 x 10 cm (4”x4”)

 

I made another hat based on this pattern but in two colors and with a few changes.

2color hat 1
What I altered: worked the decreases from the left and right twists with CC (contrasting colors, also the 2 middle stitches of each leaf are done in CC.
I changed the background purl stitches in knit stitches.
I worked the crown in the round but that gives an extra problem with the leafs in CC. It is like working intarsia in the round. I think it is a better idea to continue to work flat and seam the crown as the headband.

Check it out here